Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Stand

The following is almost real.

"Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and straight are sexual orientations. All these sexual orientations are perfectly normal." - Planned Parenthood

No. No, they're not. "Straight" is perfectly normal. The others are what we call "disordered."

"The most merciful thing that a family does to one of its infant members is to kill it." - Margaret Sanger, "The Woman Rebel", Vol. 1, No. 1

No, sorry. That's both wrong and sickening.

"It's my 21st birthday, and I am gonna get SCHWASTED." - the average college student

Hey. Getting drunk is wrong and stupid. Don't do it.

Well, at least, I know all of the above are wrong. But, I mean, you know, I don't wanna cause a stir. I don't want to get in some big argument over something like this. I don't really like confrontations, you know? I don't handle myself well under pressure like that. And what if the person I'm talking to starts yelling at me? Heck, what if they're a friend, and they get angry and don't want to talk to me anymore? I don't want to lose a friend over personal beliefs. I mean, what right do I have, really, to push my views on other people? Nobody has any right to tell another person what to do. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions. You wouldn't want somebody else coming up and telling you what to do or how to think, right? Right. I have no right to tell other people what to do, and they don't have a right to tell me what to do. That's the way the Constitution works. This is America, not Iraq or Afghanistan or China. We were founded on freedom. I hate it when people try and push their views on other people. It's like they think everyone has to believe the same thing they do, or we're all going to hell or something. Well, you know what? They can go to hell, for all I care. The people who do that, I mean. They can't take away my freedom to believe what I want to believe.

Hmm.

I just got really defensive there all of a sudden, didn't I? Sorry. I mean, I don't even know why. Sometimes, I just get really defensive about things I'm passionate about, and I kinda get up in people's faces sometimes. It's just... I don't know. There are some things that are really worth getting worked up about, you know? Like, seriously, you've gotta stand for something, you know? You gotta stand up for what you believe in, 'cause... well... if you don't, you're just a coward. You know? I mean, seriously, grow a pair or something. I'm not afraid to stand up for my rights.

Huh? No, I'm not.

NO, I'm NOT. I'm not afraid at all. And I don't exactly appreciate you calling me a coward to my face. Because that's what you're doing right now. So, since you think you know me, which you evidently don't: how am I a coward? How am I afraid of standing up for what I believe in?

What, like abortion and stuff? And the getting drunk thing? Well, I mean, those are my religious beliefs, you know? Those are things that other people don't have to believe. I mean, it doesn't hurt me any if a woman chooses to have an abortion. It's a sad thing, sure, but it's not like it directly affects me, you know? I know I wouldn't do it if I was in that situation, but...

Hmm. That's a good question. How did you put it again? 'What's the difference between a belief you will fight for and a belief you won't fight for?' Hmm. I mean, I don't know. I guess the beliefs you fight for are, like, the ones that, like, you feel strongly about, you know? Like, the ones you believe in really strongly.

Well, yeah, I mean, I believe killing babies is wrong, but... well, I guess when you put it that way, I don't know. Maybe. But, like, I just - I already told you, you know, I don't like confrontations, and I'm just not comfortable with that sort of thing, and...

Oh. Yeah. I did kinda get up in your face a minute ago, huh? Sorry again. But, yeah, I see your point. I guess... hmm. I guess I don't really, you know, stand up for what I believe in. I guess I should, though.

Huh? How am I going to stand up for it? Well, I mean, I guess whenever it comes up, you know, like an issue I believe in, I could like, not be afraid to say it, you know? Like, if someone's talking to me about abortion or gay marriage, I could be like, "That's wrong."

Not very often. Most of my friends don't really talk about that sort of thing. But I guess, like, in class, you know? Or at work or something?

No, I guess not. Nobody really talks in class, you know? And you can't really talk about that sort of thing at work.

What, like on the sidewalk out there? Like, in front of Planned Parenthood? Isn't that where all those weirdo protesters are and stuff, like the ones who are all angry at women and stuff?

Oh. Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you were one of - oh, man. Awkward. I feel bad. I'm so sorry. No, I don't think you personally are angry at women or anything. No, you don't seem - no, that's just, you know, like what most of them do, I guess? 

Okay, no, I haven't. You're right - I guess I'm just judging them without knowing them. Sorry. But no, really, I mean, I think it's good what y'all do out there, it's just not my thing, you know?

No, I mean, I don't really have time during the day, and I've got so much homework, and...

Yeah. I guess I am making excuses, huh? Look, I'm sorry, but I really just don't want to go out there. I'm... honestly, I'm kind of afraid of it. I just can't see myself, like, talking to women who are there for abortions, you know? Like what if I say the wrong thing?

There are people out there who just pray? I mean, I guess I could do that.

Yeah, I have a rosary at home.

Tomorrow? I get out of class at five, so maybe like, five-thirty?

Okay. See you then. And hey... thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment