Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Release Day!

Well, hello, fine citizen. You have, whether you know it or not, stumbled upon the blog of one David Casper, a musician of sorts who does not frequently describe himself in third person but is indulging in it for at least this sentence because it makes him giggle a bit.

Anywho, as of now, my very first album is up for sale on www.reverbnation.com/davidcasper (click "Visit Store" when you get there to see it/hear it/buy it/hug and kiss it/bake it cookies). The title of the album is Awakening, and I do believe the individual tracks and the album itself need some explanation, or backstory, or whatever you want to call me talking a bit about them, so here goes:

The Album
This album is an interesting achievement because it is essentially a one-man variety show with guests. I wrote the songs, bought the recording gear, found a quiet spot to record, played all the instrument tracks myself, laid down a good 80-90% of the vocals myself, mixed it, produced it, did whatever needed to be done to it. Of course, with a putz like myself behind the wheel, some things came out in ways with which I'm still not satisfied, but overall, I like the way it turned out. Coulda been better - but it coulda been a heck of a lot worse, and I'll stick with what I've got over the alternatives anyday. In recognizing the current state of music, especially with digital distribution selling many more singles than albums, I decided not to go for a unified-sounding album, but rather to make each song stand alone as something one might want to listen to. We'll see if that plays out well or not. Also, there are some mistakes on the album - some noticeable, some not - but I left some of them in intentionally. I wanted this album to be a little bit raw, rough-around-the-edges, not-quite-perfect, because I don't like it when things are too glossy and candy-coated.

As for the title, I decided to call it Awakening for several reasons. One is that the Aggie Awakening retreat program at St. Mary's in College Station, Texas has had a huge impact on the formation of this album, as have other sister Awakening programs at other schools. I Love You and In the Moment were both written for Aggie Awakening-related purposes, and the Litany of the Sacred Heart was partially recorded at University of Dallas' Crusader Awakening. Another reason is that this album is really the awakening of my career as a Christian musician - the beginning to something to which there is hopefully no end. It's the end of my college career and the start of the real world for me, and that's kind of a big deal. A third reason is that I really want anyone listening to this music to be awakened, to be revitalized, to have some new experience that they haven't had yet with Christian music. It's not typical praise-and-worship fare. Most of this stuff is more for listening than for singing along (so, of course, I had to buck my own trend and put a song called "Sing Along" on the album), so hopefully whoever listens to it gets something out of it, a perspective that they didn't have before. Saint Cecilia, pray for us!

More to come on the individual tracks later...

No comments:

Post a Comment