Thursday, April 22, 2010

About the Songs, Part I

Track 1: I Love You
I wrote this song back when I was Music Staff Head for Aggie Awakening #86. It was the theme song for that particular retreat, and it was based on the Scripture readings for that Sunday; the psalm reading was Psalm 23, which we leadership members all took to heart during the leadership process. The lyrics are interesting in that the first verse and chorus are told from the perspective of a human person praying and praising God, while the second verse and chorus are told from God's perspective to that person. Also, the song says "this is my Awakening", which is cheesy, gimmicky good fun on a retreat called Awakening. This was also the first time I'd ever sung in three-part harmony with myself (at the breakdown near the end of the song), which is quite an interesting experience.

Track 2: Silver Coins
This song is all about God's call for us to do good works in the world, and about overcoming the fear, discomfort, and trepidation that often try to prevent us from doing those things. I was praying one day and reflecting on a passage in Scripture that jumped out at me, Matthew 25:14-30. It's the parable of the silver talents, of the servants who, in different measures, succeeded or failed to bring the gifts they were given to fruition and bring more back to the king. I thought it was interesting that one of the names for the coins in this story is "talents", and that just like the servants in the parable were called to use their talents (as in money) for a good purpose, so we today are called to use our talents (as in gifts and blessings) in the same way. Silver Coins also contains a little bit of my own unsureness as to what exactly my calling in life might be, and in the song, I ask the Lord to "shut me up" so that His will can be done.

Track 3: Run-On
I wrote this song in about 20 minutes, in just a complete burst of Holy Spirit-ness. As the song relates, I had been praying and reflecting one day on heaven, and what it will be like when we get there. The Book of Revelation tells us that we will be singing, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!", and we'll be singing that forever and ever. It occurred to me that this is pretty much just the greatest run-on sentence ever, so I wrote a song about that, and as irony and the Holy Spirit would have it, the song ended up being one big run-on sentence itself. The little "run-on, run-on, run-on love" part at the end was something I improvised while playing the song at an open mic to make it more relatable and allow people to have something to sing along with, and I guess that worked out pretty well. Looking back on this song, it was definitely the Holy Spirit writing it and not really me, because it's much too clever for me to have come up with all that, especially the whole part where I stop, say "never stop", take a breath, and say "never take a breath". I couldn't come up with something like that if I tried. Gotta be the Spirit.

More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment